ElaArc was retained by the new owner as design architect for the restoration of the building. The goal is to keep and preserve the building’s original features, restore the damaged components with respect to the original design while upgrading the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and other code-required work to make the building functional for the new purpose.
The Great Western became one of the province’s first major railways: it opened its main line from Niagara Falls to Windsor in 1854. Other lines were added and the railway became an important connecting link to rail lines in Michigan and New York. The first main station at Grimsby was built in 1855.
The original station building is one of the ten oldest buildings still standing in Grimsby. Grimsby grew as an industrial centre and became a hub for the fruit growing industry. Grimsby station was considered the most important station between Hamilton and St. Catharines.
The building has an exceptional historical value for the Town of Grimsby since It is the oldest and only remaining station building in the town. The building structure is heavy timber with vertical board & batten siding. Most of the board and batten original siding still remains today. Most of the original windows and doors have been altered with exception of one window retains both its trims and 12 over 12 sashes. Some original shipping doors still remains today.